Even before the pandemic forced businesses to pull together stop-gap solutions, Unified Communications was an innovative technology that many businesses were looking to adopt.
The pandemic has accelerated the transition into remote working and communication solutions are no longer refined to a desk phone, or computer screen.
New technologies such as VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) have enabled businesses to route calls through their internet connections, with an offshoot – Unified Communications (UC) – providing the extra features such as collaboration and instant messaging, so that employees can collaborate company-wide, and work just as efficiently from wherever they are.
Rather than using deskphones, your team can use their UC solution across mobiles, tablets, laptops or desktops instead, or a traditional deskphone if they really want! And thankfully, the numbers that your customers call, and your commercial partners already have saved, won’t have to change. But with all these new features, some things will change.
But what does Unified Communications actually mean and how does it change the way your business operates? Well, keep on reading and you’ll be sure to find out!
How Unified Communication works
There are several terms for Unified Communications. Sometimes it’s called internet calling, or VoIP or Hosted Telephony, or one of many other phrases. Depending on the exact term, they’re not always exactly interchangeable, but suffice it to say moving to Unified Communications is exactly what you need to future-proof your business.
That’s because the landlines that have kept businesses and people connected for the last few decades, through the PSTN or ‘Public Switched Telephone Network’ is being turned off for good in 2025. Therefore, everyone will have to move to an internet-based telephony service before then, or phone lines may simply stop ringing all together!
In essence, UC works by routing your calls through your internet connection.
The ones and zeros that your microphone translates your voice into, travels through your internet connection to a central, cloud-based server where it’s redirected to the person on the other end of the line. So, it’s really not that different to what happens right now… just over a different ‘pipe’, so to speak.
Though, this somewhat drastic change does bring with it many questions – What about security? Do I need anti-virus? What happens during a power outage? – but the everyday experience for your teams won’t change that much at all.
Rather than using deskphones, your team can use their UC solution across mobiles, tablets, laptops or desktops instead, or a traditional deskphone if they really want! And thankfully, the numbers that your customers call, and your commercial partners already have saved, won’t have to change. But with all these new features, some things will…
- Taking calls – Your team will no longer be tied down to their desk, or rely on giving their personal mobile details to take business calls. Whether in the office, at home or on the go, each employee can take calls on the device they’ve got, meaning they’ll never miss a call!
- Paying your bills – You’ll receive one simple bill that covers all your lines and the included call bundles for each line. And, with the ability to block international calls or premium rate numbers for example, you can forget the days of abnormally large bills derailing your budget!
- Scaling your services – With an easy-to-use portal, you can quickly add lines for new members of staff, or remove lines that are no longer in use. You can even set-up call queues and hunt groups as complex as required, ensuring every call gets to the department it needs to.
What stays the same?
Even though you’re adopting a new system, the operational transition isn’t as drastic as you might think…
- Oversight – Even when members of your team aren’t in the office, you can still check on their productivity through robust reporting tools that include stats such as call volume, call length and many more, so you can identify staff who need extra support.
- Experience – We can help replicate your entire customer journey, including voice messages, on-hold music, hunt groups and IVRs to protect the customer experience and make sure callers don’t think they’ve dialled a wrong number.
- Services – Whether it’s call recording, compatibility with your current CRM system or another feature that your team can’t live without, we can make sure that your staff can still take advantage of the tools they’re used to using – or at least find a new service that replicates the functionality.
Starting your journey with Unified Communications
The most important consideration before you start on your journey to embracing Unified Communications is your internet connection. With significantly more voice traffic traveling along your service, broadband connections can quickly become bottlenecked, leading to bad-quality audio, slow loading times or even dropped calls.
And as your businesses grows and you require more lines for your new staff, that added pressure will increase. All this means you need to make sure your internet connection is just as scalable as your UC solution!
With decades of experience in designing, deploying and supporting our Unified Communications customers, we can recommend the best platform for you, along with all the smaller considerations – failovers, headsets, security – to make sure your new solution helps your business rather than hindering it. Plus, we can make sure your connection can grow with your business, or provide a connection that can, if required.
Then, once a plan is in place, we’ll trial and test the solution to make sure there are no bugs, and deploy the system at the best time to minimise downtime and keep your phone lines calling when they should be.
If your team needs training, we can help and even after we’ve finished your installation, we’ll always be one phone call away for any ‘how-to’ questions, or any other issues that stop your team from working to their full potential. Plus, we’ll keep one eye on your UC solution to make sure there’s no strange behaviour, perform regular maintenance as well as any updates, so your communications platform is always up-to-date and secure.
Moving any business system can be daunting, especially when it’s as business critical as your entire communications platform! And finding the right partner to help lead you to a brighter, more productive tomorrow is a necessity.
We know Unified Communications inside out – it’s in our name after all – so you can rest assured that working with Unicomm is the right step forward. Plus, our vendor-agnostic approach means we’ll recommend the best system for you, rather than what provides the best commission.
Our knowledge, expertise and vast industry experience means we can quickly understand your needs and guide you to the best, most cost-effective solution. And every deployment is fully supported by a comprehensive and bespoke support and maintenance contract that guarantees that your IT infrastructure works seamlessly for years to come.
No matter your needs, Unicomm will understand and exceed your requirements, while helping you navigate such broad choice and change. So, get in touch on (020) 7147 7000, email email@example.com or complete our Contact Us form here.